Secret key agreement based on a communication through wireless MIMO-based fading channels
Guillermo Morales-Luna, Victor Yakovlev, Valery Korzhik, Pavel Mylnikov
Citation: Proceedings of the 2016 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 8, pages 823–830 (2016)
Abstract. The method of key sharing between a mobile unit and a base station through a wireless MIMO-based fading channel is investigated. The description of a key distribution protocol is given. The expression to estimate the correct key bit agreement based on the use of guard interval is proved. Statistical properties of the key string are tested using the NIST criteria. Impossibility of key string eavesdropping by illegal users is guaranteed due to small values of correlation between legal and eavesdropper carrier phases. Numerical examples show that the MIMO system with 8 antennas is able to agree 256 bits with a reliability value 0.99 for SNR equal to 35 dB.
- A. Wyner, “Wire-tap channel concept,” Bell System Technical Journal, vol. 54, pp. 1355–1387, 1975.
- A. B. Carleial and M. E. Hellman, “A note on Wyner’s wiretap channel (corresp.),” IEEE Trans. Information Theory, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 387–390, 1977. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TIT.1977.1055721
- S. K. Leung-Yan-Cheong and M. E. Hellman, “The Gaussian wire-tap channel,” IEEE Trans. Information Theory, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 451–456, 1978. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TIT.1978.1055917
- I. Csiszár and J. Körner, “Broadcast channel with confidential messages.” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 339–348, 1978.
- L. H. Ozarow and A. D. Wyner, “Wire-tap channel II,” 1985, pp. 33–50.
- J. Barros and M. R. D. Rodrigues, “Secrecy capacity of wireless channels,” in IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory. IEEE, 2006, pp. 356–360.
- V. I. Korzhik and V. Yakovlev, “Nonasymptotic estimation for efficiency of code jamming for the wire-tape channel concept (In Russian),” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 223–228, 1981.
- U. Maurer, “Secret key agreement by public discussion from common information.” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 733–742, 1993.
- C. E. Shannon, “Communication theory of secrecy systems,” Bell Systems Technical Journal, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 656–715, 1949.
- D. Micciancio and O. Regev, “Lattice-based cryptography,” in Post-quantum Cryptography, D. J. Bernstein and J. Buchmann, Eds. Springer, 2008.
- A. M. Sayeed and A. Perrig, “Secure wireless communications: Secret keys through multipath,” in ICASSP, 2008, pp. 3013–3016.
- Y. Liu, S. C. Draper, and A. M. Sayeed, “Secret key generation through ofdm multipath channel,” in CISS, 2011, pp. 1–6.
- T. Aono, K. Higuchi, T. Ohira, B. Komiyama, and H. Sasaoka, “Wireless secret key generation exploiting reactance-domain scalar response of multipath fading channels,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 3776–3784, 2005.
- V. Yakovlev, V. I. Korzhik, Y. Kovajkin, and G. Morales-Luna, “Secret key agreement over multipath channels exploiting a variable-directional antenna,” Int. Jour. Adv. Computer Science & Applications, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 172–178, 2012.
- J. W. Wallace and R. K. Sharma, “Automatic secret keys from reciprocal MIMO wireless channels: measurement and analysis.” IEEE Trans. Information Forensics and Security, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 381–392, 2010. http://dblp.uni-trier.de/db/journals/tifs/tifs5.html#WallaceS10
- Z. Li, W. Trappe, and R. Yates, “Secret communication via multi-antenna transmission,” in Information Sciences and Systems, 2007. CISS ’07. 41st Annual Conference on, March 2007, pp. 905–910.
- S. Shafiee and S. Ulukus, “Achievable rates in Gaussian MISO channels with secrecy constraints,” in International Symposium on Information Theory, 2007. ISIT 07., June 2007.
- E. Biglieri, R. Calderbank, A. Constantinides, A. Goldsmith, A. Paulraj, and H. V. Poor, MIMO Wireless Communications. New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press, 2007.
- H. Yigit and A. Kavak, “Analytical derivation of 2 × 2 MIMO channel capacity in terms of multipath angle spread and signal strength,” Frequenz, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 97–100, 2012.
- W. C. Jakes and D. C. Cox, Microwave Mobile Communications. Wiley-IEEE Press, 1994.
- K. Guan, Z. Zhong, and B. Ai, “Assessment of LTE-R using high speed railway channel model.” in CMC, D. Yuan, M. Cao, C.-X. Wang, and H. Huang, Eds. IEEE Computer Society, 2011, pp. 461–464. http://dblp.uni-trier.de/db/conf/ieeecmc/ieeecmc2011.html#GuanZA11
- M. Bakulin, L. Varukina, and V. Krejdelin, Tehnologija MIMO: principy i algoritmy. Gorjachaja linija–Telekom, 2014.
- V. Yakovlev, V. Korzhik, and Y. Kovajkin, “Key sharing protocol for wireless local area networks based on the use of randomly excited antenna with variable diagram under the condition of multipath wave propagation. part 1. channel model for key sharing based on the use of smart antenna,” in Problemy informacionnoi bezopasnosti. Komp’juternye sistemy, SPb.: SPbGTU, June 2011.
- A. H. Land and A. G. Doig, “An automatic method of solving discrete programming problems,” Econometrica, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 497–520, 1960. http://jmvidal.cse.sc.edu/library/land60a.pdf
- B. Schneier, Applied Cryptography (2Nd Ed.): Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1995.
- L. E. Bassham, III, A. L. Rukhin, J. Soto, J. R. Nechvatal, M. E. Smid, E. B. Barker, S. D. Leigh, M. Levenson, M. Vangel, D. L. Banks, N. A. Heckert, J. F. Dray, and S. Vo, “Sp 800-22 rev. 1a. a statistical test suite for random and pseudorandom number generators for cryptographic applications,” Gaithersburg, MD, USA, Tech. Rep., 2010.
- I. S. Gradshteyn and I. M. Ryzhik, Table of integrals, series, and products, 7th ed. Elsevier/Academic Press, Amsterdam, 2007, translated from the Russian, Translation edited and with a preface by Alan Jeffrey and Daniel Zwillinger, With one CD-ROM (Windows, Macintosh and UNIX).