An Improvement of Just Noticeable Color Difference Estimation
Citation: Proceedings of the 2016 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 8, pages 803–806 (2016)
Abstract. In this paper, the estimation of just noticeable color difference in color images is improved by using a new spatial masking. The internal generative mechanism of human of brain theory implies that the human visual system (HVS) is sensitive to the orderly stimulus possessing structural regularity which is easily to be predicted and is insensitive to the disorderly stimulus containing structural irregularity. It is obviously that the spatial masking in color images may be overestimated in the region with orderly structures and underestimated in the region with disorderly structures. By using a simple prediction model imitating the brain works of the HVS, the structural irregularity is computed to build a new masking function that can be used to improve the estimation of just noticeable color difference for color images. The masking function is further extended to build a color visual model of estimating the visibility thresholds of color images for performance comparison. Simulation results demonstrate that the proposed method is able to obtain better performance of estimating just noticeable color difference.
- H. Tian, Y. Fang, Y. Zhao, W. Lin, R. Ni, and Z. Zhu, “Salient Region Detection by Fusing Bottom-Up and Top-Down Features Extracted From a Single Image”, IEEE Trans. Image Process., vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 4389-4398, 2014.
- H. R. Sheikh and A. C. Bovik, “Image information and visual quality,” IEEE Trans. Image Process., vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 430–444, Feb. 2006.
- I. Höntsch and L. J. Karam, “Locally adaptive perceptual image coding,” IEEE Trans. Image Processing, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 1472-1483, Sep. 2000.
- C. H. Chou and K. C. Liu, "Colour image compression based on the measure of just noticeable colour difference," IET Image Processing, vol. 2, no. 6, pp.304-322, Dec. 2008.
- P. B. Nguyen, A. Beghdadi, M. Luong, "Perceptual watermarking using a new JND model," Signal Processing: Image Communication, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 1506-1525, Nov. 2013.
- T. Zhu and L. Karam, "A no-reference objective image quality metric based on perceptually weighted local noise,” EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 1 - 10, 2014.
- S.-L. Hsieh, C.-C. Chen, and W.-S. Shen, "Combining Digital Water- marking and Fingerprinting Techniques to Identify Copyrights for Color Images," Scientific World Journal, Jan. 2014 http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/454867.
- K. Friston, “The free-energy principle: A unified brain theory?” Nat. Rev. Neurosci., vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 127–138, Feb. 2010.
- J. Wu, G. Shi, W. Lin, A. Liu, and F. Qi, “Just Noticeable Difference Estimation For Images with Free-Energy Principle”, IEEE Trans. Multimedia, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 1705-1710, Nov. 2013.
- M. Mahy, L. Van Eyckden, and A. Oosterlinck, “Evaluation of uniform color spaces developed after the adoption of CIELAB and CIELUV,” Color Res. Appl., vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 105-121, 1994.