Run-time Injection of Norms in Simulated Smart Environments
Patrizia Ribino, Carmelo Lodato, Antonella Cavaleri, Massimo Cossentino
Citation: Proceedings of the 2016 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 8, pages 1481–1490 (2016)
Abstract. Smart systems have to deal with environmental changes and react for adapting their behavior to changes in the operating conditions, so to always meet users' expectations. This is fundamental for those systems operating in open environments that may change frequently. Smart environments are complex systems that more than others are affected by these issues. In this paper, we propose a normative framework for regulating at run-time system behavior when some situations occur, thus providing system flexibility. The proposed approach includes also mechanisms to identify anomalous situations that can occur in the system due to the run-time injection of new norms.
- Diane J Cook. Multi-agent smart environments. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments, 1(1):51–55, 2009.
- Diane J Cook, Michael Youngblood, and Sajal K Das. A multi-agent approach to controlling a smart environment. Designing smart homes, 4008:165–182, 2006.
- Mathieu Vallée, Fano Ramparany, and Laurent Vercouter. A multi-agent system for dynamic service composition in ambient intelligence environments. Citeseer, 2005.
- Laura Klein, Jun-young Kwak, Geoffrey Kavulya, Farrokh Jazizadeh, Burcin Becerik-Gerber, Pradeep Varakantham, and Milind Tambe. Coordinating occupant behavior for building energy and comfort management using multi-agent systems. Automation in Construction, 22:525–536, 2012.
- Huib Aldewereld, Frank Dignum, Andrés García-Camino, Pablo Noriega, Juan Antonio Rodríguez-Aguilar, and Carles Sierra. Operationalisation of norms for electronic institutions. In Coordination, Organizations, Institutions, and Norms in Agent Systems II, pages 163–176. Springer, 2007.
- Guido Boella and Leendert WN van der Torre. Regulative and constitutive norms in normative multiagent systems. KR, 4:255–265, 2004.
- Mehdi Dastani, John-Jules Meyer, and Nick Tinnemeier. Programming norm change. Journal of Applied Non-Classical Logics, 22(1-2):151–180, 2012.
- Felipe Meneguzzi and Michael Luck. Norm-based behaviour modification in bdi agents. In Proceedings of The 8th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems-Volume 1, pages 177–184. International Foundation for Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, 2009.
- Luca Sabatucci, Patrizia Ribino, Carmelo Lodato, Salvatore Lopes, and Massimo Cossentino. Goalspec: A goal specification language supporting adaptivity and evolution. In Engineering Multi-Agent Systems, pages 235–254. Springer, 2013.
- Object Management Group. Semantics of business vocabulary and business rules (sbvr). version 1.3. may 2015.
- Massimo Cossentino, Carmelo Lodato, Salvatore Lopes, and Luca Sabatucci. Musa: a middleware for user-driven service adaptation. in proc. of XVI Workshop "Dagli Ogetti agli Agenti", Napoli, June, 17-19, 2015, 1382, 2015.
- Icasa : a dynamic pervasive environment simulator http://adele.imag.fr/icasa-a-dynamic-pervasive-environment-simulator/.
- Paolo Bresciani, Anna Perini, Paolo Giorgini, Fausto Giunchiglia, and John Mylopoulos. Tropos: An agent-oriented software development methodology. Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems, 8(3):203–236, 2004.
- Graham Witt. Writing Effective Business Rules: A Practical Method. Elsevier, 2012.
- Frank Dignum. Autonomous agents with norms. Artificial Intelligence and Law, 7(1):69–79, 1999.
- Thomas Agotnes, Wiebe Van Der Hoek, JA Rodriguez-Aguilar, Carles Sierra, and Michael Wooldridge. On the logic of normative systems. In Proceedings of the Twentieth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI’07), pages 1181–1186, 2007.
- Marek Sergot. Action and agency in norm-governed multi-agent systems. In Engineering Societies in the Agents World VIII, pages 1–54. Springer, 2007.
- Mehdi Dastani, Nick AM Tinnemeier, and John-Jules Ch Meyer. A programming language for normative multi-agent systems. Multi-Agent Systems: Semantics and Dynamics of Organizational Models, pages 397–417, 2009.
- Natasha Alechina, Mehdi Dastani, and Brian Logan. Programming norm-aware agents. In Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems-Volume 2, pages 1057–1064. International Foundation for Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, 2012.
- Martin J Kollingbaum and Timothy J Norman. A contract management framework for supervised interaction. In Working Notes of the 5th UK Workshop on Multi-Agent Systems UKMAS 2002, 2002.
- Nick Tinnemeier, Mehdi Dastani, and John-Jules Meyer. Programming norm change. In Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems: volume 1-Volume 1, pages 957–964. International Foundation for Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, 2010.
- Max Knobbout, Mehdi Dastani, and John-Jules Ch Meyer. Reasoning about dynamic normative systems. In Logics in Artificial Intelligence, pages 628–636. Springer, 2014.
- Jie Jiang, Huib Aldewereld, Virginia Dignum, and Yao-Hua Tan. Compliance checking of organizational interactions. ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems (TMIS), 5(4):23, 2015.
- Wamberto Vasconcelos, Martin J Kollingbaum, and Timothy J Norman. Resolving conflict and inconsistency in norm-regulated virtual organizations. In Proceedings of the 6th international joint conference on Autonomous agents and multiagent systems, page 91. ACM, 2007.
- Marc Esteva, Wamberto Vasconcelos, Carles Sierra, and Juan A Rodriguez-Aguilar. Norm consistency in electronic institutions. In Advances in Artificial Intelligence–SBIA 2004, pages 494–505. Springer, 2004.
- Martin J Kollingbaum, Timothy J Norman, Alun Preece, and Derek Sleeman. Norm conflicts and inconsistencies in virtual organisations. In Coordination, organizations, institutions, and norms in agent systems II, pages 245–258. Springer, 2007.
- Eric Yu. Modelling strategic relationships for process reengineering. Social Modeling for Requirements Engineering, 11:2011, 2011.
- Raymond Reiter. On closed world data bases. Springer, 1978.
- Andrés García-Camino, Pablo Noriega, and Juan-Antonio Rodríguez-Aguilar. An algorithm for conflict resolution in regulated compound activities. In Engineering Societies in the Agents World VII, pages 193–208. Springer, 2006.