Accuracy analysis of the RSSI BLE SensorTag signal for indoor localization purposes
Mariusz Kaczmarek, Jacek Ruminski, Adam Bujnowski
Citation: Proceedings of the 2016 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 8, pages 1413–1416 (2016)
Abstract. In this paper we describe possibility of use the RSSI signal (Radio Signal Strength Indication) from Texas Instruments SensorTag CC2650 for indoor positioning purposes. This idea is not a new but in our opinion it is possible to use SensorTags with Bluetooth LE wireless interface for positioning inside buildings in such applications as people findings in hospitals, senior come care, etc. RSSI is mostly selected as the sensor localization method in the indoor circumstances. In this paper, we aim to analyze accuracy, calibrate and map RSSI to distance by doing a series of the experiments. Obtained results are very promising and shows possibility of use this technique for position estimation
- M. Sauter (2010). "3.7.1 Mobility Management in the Cell-DCH State". From GSM to LTE: An Introduction to Mobile Networks and Mobile Broadband. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 9780470978221.
- D. Gusenbauer, C. Isert, and J. Krosche, “Self-contained indoor positioning on off-the-shelf mobile devices”, Indoor Positioning and Indoor Navigation 2010, pp. 1-9.
- S. Feldmann, K. Kyamakya, A. Zapater, and Z. Lue, “An indoor Bluetooth-based positioning system: concept, implementation and experimental evaluation”, International Conference on Wireless Networks, 2003.
- C. Zhang, M. Kuhn, B. Merkl, A.E. Fathy, and M. Mahfouz, “Accurate UWB indoor localization system utilizing time difference of arrival approach”, IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, pp. 515-518, 17-19th Oct. 2006.
- M. Sugano, “Indoor localization system using rssi measurement of wireless sensor network on zigbee standard”, Wireless and Optical Communications, pp. 1-6, 2006.
- P. Bahl, V.N. Padmanabhan, “RADAR: an in-building RF-based user location and tracking system”, Proc. of Infocom, pp. 775-784, 2000.
- A. Parameswaran, H. Thottam, S. Upadhyaya, "Is RSSI a Reliable Parameter in Sensor Localization Algorithms – An Experimental Study" (PDF). September 2009. 28th International Symposium On Reliable Distributed Systems, New York. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- L., Gough; Gallagher, Thomas; Binghao, Li. "Differences in RSSI readings made by different Wi-Fi chipsets: A limitation of WLAN localization". Localization and GNSS (ICL-GNSS), 2011 International Conference on.
- C. Feng, W. Au, S. Valaee, and Z. Tan, “Compressive sensing based positioning using rss of wlan access points,” in INFOCOM, 2010 Proceedings IEEE, 2010, pp. 1–9.
- G. Han, D. Choi, W. Lim, “A Novel Reference Node Selection Algorithm Based on Trilateration for Indoor Sensor Networks”, IEEE Intl Conf. on Computer and Inform. Technology, 2007, p.1003-1008.
- M. Kaczmarek, A. Bujnowski, J. Wtorek, A. Poliński: Multimodal Platform for Continuous Monitoring of the Elderly and Disabled// Journal of Medical Imaging and Health Informatics. Vol. 2., issue 1 (2012), p. 56-63.
- C. Feng, W. Au, S. Valaee, and Z. Tan, “Compressive sensing based positioning using rss of wlan access points,” in INFOCOM, 2010 Proceedings IEEE, 2010, p. 1–9.