Probabilistic 2D Cellular Automata Rules for Binary Classification
Citation: Proceedings of the 2016 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 8, pages 161–164 (2016)
Abstract. In this paper are presented classification methods with use of two-dimensional three-state cellular automata. This methods are probabilistic forms of cellular automata rule modified from wide known almost deterministic rule designed by Fawcett, known as n4\_V 1\_nonstable. Fawcetts rule is modified into two proposed forms partially (n4\_V 1\_nonstable\_PP) and fully probabilistic (n4\_V 1\_nonstable\_FP). The effectiveness of classifications of these three methods is analysed and compared. The classification methods are used as the rules in the twodimensional three-state cellular automaton with the von Neumann and Moore neighbourhood. Preliminary experiments show that probabilistic modification of Fawcett's method can give better results in the process of reconstruction (classification) than the original algorithm.
- T. Fawcett, “Data mining with cellular automata.” ACM SIGKDD Explorations Newsletter, 10(1), pp. 32–39, 2008.
- P. Gacs, G. Kurdyumov, and L. Levin, “One dimensional uniform arrays that wash out finite islands.” Problemy Peredachi Informatsii, 12, pp. 92–98, 1978.
- M. Mitchell, P. Hraber and J. Crutchfield, “Revisiting the edge of chaos: Evolving cellular automata to perform computations.” Complex Systems, 7, pp. 89–130 1993.
- P. Maji, B. Sikdar, and P. Chaudhuri, “Cellular automata evolution for pattern classification.” Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3305, pp. 660–669. Springer Verlag 2004.
- S. Omohundro, “Modelling cellular automata with partial differential equations.” Physica 10D, 10(1-2), pp. 128–134, 1984.
- A. Piwonska, F. Seredynski, M. Szaban, “Learning Cellular Automata Rules for Binary Classification Problem,” The Journal of Supercomputing, Volume 63, Issue 3, pp. 800–815, 2013.
- P. Povalej, M. Lenic, and P. Kokol, “Improving ensembles with classificational cellular automata.” Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3305, pp. 242–249. Springer Verlag 2004.
- M. Szaban, “Probabilistic Binary Classification with Use of 2D Cellular Automata.” 12th International conference on Cellular Automata for Research and Industry - ACRI 2016, 2016 (in print).
- S. Wolfram: A New Kind of Science. Wolfram Media, 2002.