Project Communication Management Patterns
Citation: Proceedings of the 2016 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 8, pages 1179–1188 (2016)
Abstract. In present, dynamically developing organizations, that often realize business tasks using the project-based approach, effective project management is of paramount importance. Numerous reports and scientific papers present lists of critical success factors in project management, and communication management is usually at the very top of the list. But even though the communication practices are found to be associated with most of the success dimensions, they are not given enough attention and the communication processes and practices formalized in the company's project management methodology are neither followed nor prioritized by project managers. This paper aims at supporting project managers and teams in more effective implementation of best practices in communication management by proposing a set of communication management patterns, which promote a context-problem-solution approach to communication management in projects.
- V. Damasiotis, P. Fitsilis, and J. F. O'Kane, “Measuring communication complexity in projects,” in Proceedings of the Management of International Business and Economic Systems (MIBES-ESDO) 2012 International Conference. Larissa, Greece: School of Management and Economics, 2012, pp. 100-114.
- M. M. Phillips, Reinventing communication: How to design, lead and manage high performing projects. Farnham, UK: Gower Publishing, Ltd., 2014.
- R. Burke, and S. Barron, Project management leadership: building creative teams. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons, 2014.
- M. Charles, “The Ascent of Communication: Are We on Board?,” in The Ascent of International Business Communication, L. Louhiala- Salminen, A. Kankaanranta, Eds. Helsinki, Finland: Helsinki School of Economics, 2009, pp. 9-23.
- K. Muszyńska. “Kształtowanie modelu komunikacji w zespole projektowym,” Ph.D. dissertation, University of Szczecin, 2010.
- W. Al-Ahmad, K. Al-Fagih, K. Khanfar, K. Alsamara, S. Abuleil, and H. Abu-Salem, “A Taxonomy of an IT Project Failure: Root Causes,” International Management Review, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 93-104, 2009.
- K. Conboy, “Project failure en masse: a study of loose budgetary control in ISD projects,” European Journal of Information Systems, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 273-287, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1057/ejis.2010.7.
- R. Stoica, and P. Brouse, “IT project Failure: A proposed four-phased adaptive multi-method approach,” Procedia Computer Science, vol. 16, pp. 728-736, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2013.01.076.
- H. R. Kerzner, Project management: a systems approach to planning, scheduling, and controlling. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2013.
- K. Schwalbe, Information technology project management. Boston, MA: Cengage Learning, 2013.
- J. R. Meredith, and S. J. Mantel Jr., Project management: a managerial approach. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
- G. Purna Sudhakar, “A model of critical success factors for software projects,” Journal of Enterprise Information Management, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 537-558, 2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/17410391211272829.
- D. F. Ofori, “Project Management Practices and Critical Success Factors–A Developing Country Perspective,” International Journal of Business and Management, vol. 8, no. 21, pp. 14-31, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.5539/ijbm.v8n21p14.
- V. Holzmann, and I. Panizel, “Communications management in Scrum projects,” in Proceedings of the European Conference on Information Management & Evaluation. Reading, UK: Academic Conferences and Publishing International Limited, 2013, pp. 67-74.
- J. Han, and W. Jung, “How Geographic Distribution Affects Development Organizations: A Survey on Communication between Developers,” International Journal of Software Engineering & Its Applications, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 241-251, 2014.
- T. Niinimäki, A. Piri, C. Lassenius, and M. Paasivaara, “Reflecting the choice and usage of communication tools in global software development projects with media synchronicity theory,” Journal of Software: Evolution and Process, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 677-692, 2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smr.566.
- B. Sidawi, “Potential use of communications and project management systems in remote construction projects: the case of Saudi Electric Company,” Journal of Engineering, Project, and Production Management, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 14-22, 2012.
- K. Tone, M. Skitmore, and J. K. W. Wong, “An investigation of the impact of cross‐cultural communication on the management of construction projects in Samoa,” Construction Management and Economics, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 343-361, 2009. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446190902748713.
- P. Wagstrom, and J. Herbsleb, “Dependency forecasting in the distributed agile organization,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 55-56, 2006, http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1164394.1164420.
- M. Monteiro de Carvalho, “An investigation of the role of communication in IT projects,” International Journal of Operations & Production Management, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 36-64, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJOPM-11-2011-0439.
- J. Samáková, J. Sujanová, and K. Koltnerová, “Project communication management in industrial enterprises,” in European Conference on Information Management and Evaluation, Reading, UK: Academic Conferences International Limited, 2013, pp. 155-163.
- K. E. Papke-Shields, C. Beise, and J. Quan, “Do project managers practice what they preach, and does it matter to project success?,” International Journal of Project Management, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 650-662, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2009.11.002.
- A. M. Pop, I. Pop, and D. D. Dumitrascu, “An Analysis Model Of The Communication Features In Research Project Management,” Revista Economica, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 49-64, 2013.
- D. S. Nguyen, “Success Factors for Building and Managing High Performance Global Virtual Teams,” International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 72-93, 2013.
- G. Isern, “Intercultural Project Management for IT: Issues and Challenges,” Journal of Intercultural Management, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 53-67, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1515/joim-2015-0021.
- Project Management Institute, “The high cost of low performance: the essential role of communications,” 2013, http://www.pmi.org/~/media/PDF/Business-Solutions/The-High-Cost-Low-Performance-The-Essential-Role-of-Communications.ashx, access date: 6.05.2016.
- V. E. Pitts, N. A. Wright, and L. C. Harkabus, “Communication in Virtual Teams: The Role of Emotional Intelligence,” Journal of Organizational Psychology, vol. 12, no. 3/4, pp. 21-34, 2012.
- P. Ziek, and J. D. Anderson, “Communication, dialogue and project management,” International Journal of Managing Projects in Business, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 788-803, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJMPB-04-2014-0034.
- Oxford Dictionaries. Language matters. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/pattern, access date: 6.05.2016.
- J. Rech, R. L. Feldmann, E. Ras, A. Jedlitschka, and B. Decker, „Knowledge Patterns and Knowledge Refactorings for Increasing the Quality of Knowledge,” in Knowledge Management, Organizational Memory and Transfer Behavior: Global Approaches and Advancements, 1st ed., M. E. Jennex, Ed., London, UK: IGI Global, 2008, pp. 281-328. http://dx.doi.org/10.4018/978-1-60566-140-7.ch017.
- A. M. Ernst, “Enterprise architecture management patterns,” in Proceedings of the 15th Conference on Pattern Languages of Programs, ACM, 2008. http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1753196.1753205.
- S. Lukosch, and T. Schümmer, “Groupware development support with technology patterns,” International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 599-610, 2006. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2006.02.006.
- E. Gamma, R. Helm, R. Johnson, and J. Vlissides, Design patterns: elements of reusable object-oriented software. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, 1994.
- T. Iba, Collaboration patterns: a pattern language for creative collaborations. Japan: CreativeShift Lab, 2014.
- N. Schadewitz, „Design patterns for cross-cultural collaboration,” International Journal of Design, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 37-53, 2009.
- Y. Verginadis, N. Papageorgiou, D. Apostolou, and G. Mentzas, „A review of patterns in collaborative work,” in Proceedings of the 16th ACM international conference on Supporting Group Work, New York, NY, ACM, 2010, pp. 283-292. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1880071.1880118.
- K. Muszyńska, “Communication management in project teams–practices and patterns,” in Managing Intellectual Capital and Innovation for Sustainable and Inclusive Society, Proceedings of the MakeLearn and TIIM Joint International Conference, V. Dermol, A. Trunk, G. Ðaković, M. Smrkolj Eds., ToKnowPress, 2015, pp. 1359-1366.
- S. Apud, and T. Apud-Martinez, “Effective Internal Communication in Global Organizations,” 2008, http://www.iabc.com/ effective- internal-communication-in-global-organizations, access date: 6.05.2016.
- A. Bilczynska-Wojcik, “Communication management within virtual teams in global projects”. Ph.D. dissertation, Dublin Business School, 2014.
- J. Douras, “Techniques to Build Respect and Trust with a Remote Workforce,” 2010, http://www.iabc.com/techniques-to-build-respect-and-trust-with-a-remote-workforce, access date: 6.05.2016.
- L. Layman, L. Williams, D. Damian, and H. Bures, “Essential communication practices for Extreme Programming in a global software development team,” Information and Software Technology, vo. 48, no. 9, pp. 781-794, 2006. http://dx.doi.org./10.1016/j.infsof.2006.01.004.
- F. Y. Y. Ling, S. P. Low, S. Q. Wang, and T. K. Egbelakin, “Foreign firms’ strategic and project management practices in china,” in Proceedings of Construction Management and Economics: Past, Present and Future. Reading, UK: University of Reading, 2007.
- S. Modi, P. Abbott, and S. Counsell, “Exploring communication challenges associated with Agile practices in a globally distributed environment,” 2012, http://raiseconference.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/ModiCounsellRAISE-paper-resubmission-final.pdf, access date: 6.05.2016.