RF-Tania protocol and system architecture for location based sensor measurements
Sotirios Kontogiannis, Soultana Ellinidou, George Kokkonis
Citation: Proceedings of the 2016 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (eds). ACSIS, Vol. 8, pages 1067–1074 (2016)
Abstract. In this paper, we propose a new protocol for sensors Frequency Shift Keying data transmission named RF-Tania protocol framework. This protocol focuses on Energy Efficiency and it is based on an existent open source protocol stack. Tania protocol framework includes a set of three protocols: The Sensors Data Transmission Protocol (Tania-SDTP), the Ad-Hoc On Demand Protocol (Tania-AHOD) and the Ad-hoc Alerts Protocol (Tania-AHA), each one servicing different end user functionalities. Tania protocol is used on a specific system architecture of a crowded sensors network. Such network is composed of two different types of equipment: The measuring sensor trans-ponders and the Ad-hoc receivers. Sensor transponders are battery operated systems with installed sensors. Ad-hoc receivers are mobile phones equipped with transponders that operate as both sensor output devices as well as sensor data re-transmitters. In the case study, a test bed system architecture for monitoring CO2 and temperature levels has been used. In this study, tests of energy endurance, RF coverage and energy performance have been performed. From the evaluation results, it is proven that Tania protocol outperforms in terms of energy existing RF protocols that use periodic broadcast data transmissions.
- Jeelabs, RF12B MAC protocol, http://Jeelabs.org, 2013.
- Z. A. Eu, H-P. Tan, and W. K. G. Seah, “Design and performance analysis of MAC schemes for wireless sensor networks powered by ambient energy harvesting”. Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 9, no. 3, ISSN 1570-8705, pp. 300-323, 2011.
- M. Y. Naderi, P. Nintanavongsa,K. R. Chowdhury, “RF-MAC: A Medium Access Control Protocol for Re-Chargeable Sensor Networks Powered by Wireless Energy Harvesting”.IEEE Transaction on Wireless Communications, vol. 3, issue 7, ISSN 1536-1276, pp. 3926 -3937, July 2014.
- P. Nintanavongsa, M.Y. Naderi, and K. R. Chowdhury, “A Dual-band Wireless Energy Transfer Protocol for Heterogeneous Sensor Networks Powered by RF Energy Harvesting”.International Conference on Computer Science and Engineering Conference (ICSEC),IEEE,pp.400-405, Sept. 2013.
- Dong-feng, Su, C. Xiang-jian, L. Di, X. Zhi-jun and C. Zhifeng, “Research of New Wireless Sensor Network Protocol: ZigBee RF4CE.”International Conference on Electrical and Control Engineering (ICECE), IEEE, pp. 2921-2924, 2010.
- Song, Wen-Miao, Yan-Ming Liu, and S-E. Zhang. “Research on SMAC protocol for WSN.” International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing, IEEE, pp. 1-4, 2008.
- Song, Jianping, S. Han, A. Mok, D. Chen, M. Lucas M. Nixon and W. Pratt, “WirelessHART: Applying wireless technology in real-time industrial process control.” Real-Time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium, IEEE, pp. 377-386, 2008.
- RadioPulse LM2470/2475 RF4CE Technical Specification Datasheet, http://www.radiopulse.co.kr/, 2015.
- Microchip Application Notes, “AN1283: Microchip Wireless Media Access Controller MiMAC”, “AN1284: Microchip Wireless Application Programming Interface MiApp” and “AN1066: Microchip Wireless Networking Protocol Stack MiMAC”, http://www.microchip.com/miwi, 2011.
- T. Lennvall, S. Svensson and F. Hekland, “A comparison of WirelessHART and ZigBee for industrial applications”, IEEE International workshop on Wireless Factory Communication Systems, pp. 85-88, 2008.
- Freescale Product Brief and development kits MC132X, http://www.element14.com/community/servlet/JiveServlet/download/46712-2-98858/MC13242_RFFS.pdf,2010.
- C. Gomez, J. Oller and J. Paradells, “Overview and Evaluation of Bluetooth Low Energy: An Emerging Low-Power wireless technology.”, Sensors Journal, vol. 12, no. 9, ISSN 1424-8220, pp.11734-11739, 2012.
- Nordic Semiconductor, “Multiprotocol Bluetooth low energy /2.4GHz RF System on Chip - nRF51822 product specification”, https://www.nordicsemi.com/.../nRF51822_PS v3.1.pdf
- 802.15.4, Part 15.4, “Wireless Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications for Low-Rate Wireless Personal Area Networks (LRWPANs)”.
- ZigBee Alliance, “ZigBeeRFCE specification: ZRC profile. Version 2.0 ZigBee”, http://www.zigbee.org/zigbee-for-developers/network-specifications/zigbeerf4ce/, 2014.
- P. Rohitha, P. R. Kumar, N. Adinarayana and V.N. Rao, “Wireless Networking Through ZigBee Technology”, International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Soft. Eng. IJARCSSE, ISSN 2277-128X, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 49-54, 2012.
- ZigBee Alliance, “ZigBee RFCE specification: ZigBee v.1.0”, http://www.zigbee.org/zigbee-for-developers/network-specifications/zigbeerf4ce/, 094945r00ZB 2010.
- WiMedia Specifications, “The WiMedia common Radio Platform”, http://www.wimedia.org/en/docs/10001r01WM_MPI-WiMedia_MAC-PHY_Interface_Specification_1.5.pdf, Rel 1.5, 2009.
- E. Karapistoli, F.N. Pavlidou, I. Gragopoulos and I. Tsetsinas, “An overview of the IEEE 802.154a standard”, IEEE Communications Magazine, ISSN 0163-6804, pp.47-52, Jan 2010.
- WG802.15 - Wireless Personal Area Network (WPAN) Working Group, “802.15.4-2011 - IEEE Standard for Local and metropolitan area networks-Part 15.4: Low-Rate Wireless Personal Area Networks (LR-WPANs)”, IEEE standard, 2011.
- WG802.15- Wireless Personal Area Network (WPAN) Working Group, “802.15.4-2015 - IEEE Standard for Low-Rate Wireless Personal Area Networks (WPANs)”, IEEE standard 2015.
- I. Howitt, J. A. Gutierrez, “IEEE 802.15.4 low rate - wireless personal area network coexistence issues”, Wireless Communications and Networking, ISSN 1525-3511, vol. 3, pp. 1481-1486, 2003.
- HopeRF transceiver 433MHz RF12B datasheet, http://www.hoperf.com/upload/rf/RFM12B.pdf, 2012.
- HopeRF RF69W/RF69HW high range 433MHz transceiver datasheet , http://www.hoperf.com/upload/rf/RFM69CW-V1.1.pdf, 2015.
- MG-811 CO2 sensor datasheet, Sandbox Electronics, http://sandboxelectronics.com/?P=147,2011.
- Atmel ATmega328 8 bit microcontroller datasheet and user’s manual, http://www.atmel.com/.../atmel-8271-8-bit-avr-microcontroller-atmega48a-48pa-88a-88pa-168a-168pa-328-328p_datasheet_complete.pdf, 2015
- Atmel 128K/16KBytelow voltage operation EEPROM TWI chip, http://www.smartrobots.pl/download/AT24C256.pdf, 2012.
- AKBARI, Saba. Energy harvesting for wireless sensor networks review. In: Computer Science and Information Systems (FedCSIS), 2014 Federated Conference on. IEEE, 2014. p. 987-992.